Upper respiratory tract infections (URTIs), such as the common cold and flu, have plagued humanity for centuries. These infections affect the upper respiratory tract, including the nose, throat, ears and sinuses, and are primarily caused by viral and bacterial pathogens.
The global market size for URTIs treatment is projected to grow substantially due to the increasing prevalence of respiratory infections, the rising geriatric population, and the growing demand for preventative treatments.
In this blog, we will delve into the factors driving the growth of this market and how oral probiotics can play an important role as a preventative for these infections.
Global Market Size and Growth Factors
The global market size of upper respiratory tract infections was US$36.94bn in 2018. It has witnessed significant growth and is showing no signs of slowing down, projected to grow to US$58.99bn by 2025 with a CAGR of 6.3%. 
Several factors contribute to this expansion:
- Prevalence and Incidence: URTIs are highly prevalent, with millions of cases reported yearly worldwide. They affect individuals of all ages and can be especially common in children and the elderly. The ease of transmission, especially in crowded places or close-knit communities, contributes to the high incidence rate.
- Rising Global Population: As the global population continues to grow, so does the potential market for upper respiratory infection treatments. Increased population density and urbanization further enhance the risk of transmission and subsequent demand for remedies.
- Expanding Geriatric Population: With improvements in healthcare, the global geriatric population is on the rise. Older adults often have weakened immune systems, making them more susceptible to URTIs. The growing number of seniors contributes to the market expansion as their healthcare needs increase.
The winter season also is a contributing factor, with higher incidence rates, primarily because the colder weather forces people indoors more often, making viruses more transmissible.
Preventing getting a URTI is not always possible, but the following steps can help.
- Washing your hands: Use hot, soapy water for at least 30 seconds to kill viruses.
- Keep common surfaces clean: Use a disinfectant spray to wipe down surfaces, such as keyboards, door handles, kitchen benches and tables.
- Hands off your face: Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth as this spreads germs directly.
- Use a humidifier: Dry, hot heat – typically generated by office air conditioning and home heat pumps, help viruses thrive and spread. Increasing the moisture in the air helps combat this.
- Use an oral probiotic: Introducing BLIS K12TM as a preventative supplement increases the good bacteria in your mouth, crowding out harmful bacteria that can cause URTIs. It also stimulates the immune system to respond faster when viral pathogens infect the upper respiratory tract, producing bacteriocins that break down the pathogen’s cell walls.
- If you feel symptoms: Cover your mouth and nose when coughing and stay at home so you protect your co-workers.
The market size of upper respiratory infections continues to expand due to various factors such as high prevalence, a rising global population, and an aging population. Many people are seeking natural treatments and preventatives to mitigate URTIs. Taking a dietary supplement with BLIS K12TM, an oral probiotic has been scientifically shown to prevent recurrent upper respiratory tract infections and improve overall health.
Reference:  ZION MARKET RESEARCH
To explore more opportunities with BLIS K12™ get in touch: